backgroud

Friday, February 26, 2010

Because sometimes "they" don't listen

I have decided this blog will be best suited not only to pour out my heart and soul as a way to vent, but to also keep track of how Gabe is doing in school and at home. Recently I went to an autism meeting and the guest speaker was WONDERFUL. She reminded everyone to keep track of the things our children struggle with, so that they may later be used to help gain services. That's my plan with the blog site.

This week I got a note home from the teacher that Gabe is having a hard time attending. I decided I would sit in on a class and watch him. Sure enough I found him spinning on the carpet and not paying attention. He did follow along with the group at times, but then would head off into Gabe land.

At story time I noticed he would not join the group. I decided to sit on floor with him. He sat on my lap and joined the other kids for story time. While the teacher read the story Gabe twirled my hair. He was calm and relaxed. He even answered questions about the book!!! The next day I wrote a letter stating Gabe's need for sensory breaks and ways to help him pay better attention at circle time. And low and behold...I got a letter back. It was from the special ed teacher, written in all red (brought back some good old school memories). She agreed to ask the OT for some sensory break ideas and a wiggle pad for Gabe's bum. The catcher to all this...she wrote "maybe it will help with behavior at home". Ugh.

Yes, Gabe gets home from school and spends a good amount of time stimming and getting his energy out, but I don't need him to focus at that time. I didn't ask for the OT to help for things to be better at home. I really feel like they just don't listen to me.

Sometimes I feel like saying..."you deal with it" But I know the consequences to that. My niece was left at the hand of the school district. She's struggled her for entire educational career and was misdiagnosed via the school. I will not let that happen to my son. I can see him struggling already. I will not be a mom that sits back and shrugs my shoulders. The school can think whatever they want about me. In the end I will know that I did everything in my power to help Gabe have full access to his education.

No comments: