backgroud

Monday, February 15, 2010

Watching Gabe struggle

Nothing hurts more then to watch your child struggle with things that other children seemingly grasp all on their own. Why doesn't Gabe's brain allow him to communicate like other children? What does the world think of him? What will people think of him when he is older? Will they think he is stupid?

I see the way grown adults look at him. I see their questioning eyes. If only they understood why he cannot answer their questions. If only they took the time to see Gabe for Gabe. He is such an amazing kid. His eyes speak a thousand words.

Today was a rough speech day. Gabe struggled all day long trying to tell me about his needs and wants. He tried to tell his speech teacher today that he wanted to play with the trains before he started speech, but he couldn't find the words he needed. I could have cried right there in the office. I knew what he wanted, but I can't be there for him all the time.

I wish I could protect him from the world. Keep him safe in a bubble. Protect him from the mean people that always seem to have "helpful" advice.

Some days I just want to sit and cry. Running here, running there, this appointment, that appointment. Speech therapy, IEP's, psych evals, neuro appointments. I feel stretched thin as it is....and then days like today...they tear my heart apart.

No comments: