backgroud

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Tomorrow....is the (cue dramatic voice) IEP meeting.

I'm feeling a little ill about all this.  I'm not too sure what to ask for, how to approach Gabe's needs, or for that matter who will be on Gabe's side, besides me of course.  I think I know what he needs, but the school has not always agreed with what I think.  They have their own agenda and I can respect the fact they are on a budget, but in all honesty I don't care if the Principal has to take a pay cut so long as my child's needs are met with the "appropriate" services.

I'm reminding myself not to tell the IEP what Gabe needs, but ask what they think would help him.  Deep down I know what he needs.  I just have to let the educators help me.  After all they are the one's who went to school for this, right?  Maybe after tomorrow's meeting I might be typing an entirely different post.

Gabe does have a great sped ed teacher.  And I hope she is able to convey the importance of sensory breaks during the day for Gabe.  Getting OT services for Gabe has been like ripping out teeth on an unsadated crocodile.  Very time consuming and dangerous.  Gabe has had an OT on consult for some time...and finally we have some sensory outlets in place.  I need for those outlets to carry over the the school. 

I'm sure I'll be back to post again tomorrow.  Prayers needed....and loads of them.



No comments: