backgroud

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Chasing birds

It's been a really long time since I last blogged. And entirely too many good things have happened since then. My kids grew bigger, Gabe learned to ride a bike, and Zane conquered his fear of water! 



Recently Zane has taken up the hobby of bird chasing. And I don't mean bird watching. I literally mean, he chases birds in the hopes to catch one. And I'm convinced that one day he will catch a bird. In all of his bird chasing, I have been reminded that life with autism is kind of like chasing birds. You keep chasing the hope that your child will talk normal, or learn like his peers. You chase the dream that he will have a best friend, or won't meltdown because the Lego set he really wanted was sold out and he can't verbally describe his disappointment. You chase a dream that society will accept his quirky behavior and won't judge
him or worse yet, make fun on him. And in all that chasing you realize that sometimes you can't catch that dream, but you still still have to chase it because one day, you will catch it. And that day will be a day to celebrate. 

No comments: