backgroud

Monday, July 12, 2010

Eat Little Gabe Eat.

Out of sheer frustration I am blogging.  Gabe is on a food strike.  It all started with a tummy ache and maybe a sore throat...as Gabe was unable to truly tell me what hurt.  Since then it has turned into a fear of eating.  He is convinced he will choke if he eats.  Today I took him to the doctor and his throat is fine.  It's not red, it's not infected, rapid strep was negative.  The doctor thinks it could be a virus.  I'm praying it is just a virus and not a huge regression.  He is also stimming a lot.  Tracing the wall with his fingers, flitting his fingers in front of his face, pacing, echoing, etc.  I can truly relate to those who have kiddo's with feeding issues.  I have a new appreciation as to what their daily lives are like.  Gabe has narrowed his food selection down to yogurt and chocolate milk.  If I do manage to get something in him it is a couple bites and panic sets in that he will choke. 

I'm giving it one more week.  Next Monday I plan on talking to his private OT for some guidance as to what steps to take next.  Hopefully I won't have to have that conversation with her.  How long can a kid live on yogurt and carnation instant breakfast? 

No comments: